Buckskin Mountains, Clara Peak, Bill Williams Rd., Shea Rd., Swansea Mine Road, East Cactus Plane, Natural Arch, Planet Ranch Road
Last Known Status
Once a bustling copper mining town from 1908-1943, this historic landmark is now an abandoned ghost town with scattered ruins and artifacts. An informative self guided hiking loop takes you through the main parts and there are actually five nice developed campsites with gazebos so you camp right within the town ruins.
The surrounding trails are mostly hard packed jeep trails with small sharp rocks and some sand washes. The terrain is largely flat with some scenic canyons and rolling hills but nothing too challenging. Larger RVs and trailers are not recommended to go all the way to the townsite, as the last three miles of the main access road gets a little narrow and steeper, with a one-lane bridge (8-ton limit). This is a nice easy day ride for seniors or beginner ATV riders who would appreciate the historical sights, but there are not many challenges for agressive riders.
From: Parker, AZ
1) Take Alt Hwy 95 to Shea Rd. intersection
2) Turn left (east) on Shea Rd., continue 13.3 miles
3) Turn right on Swansea Mine Rd., continue 10.4 miles
4) Veer right at stop sign, continue 5.7 miles
5) Trailers and small RVs can stage here, last 3 miles are steep and narrow and not recommended for RVs/trailers.
TYPE OF AREA
interesting ghost town, ruins to explore
long access road, not many real trails - 4x4 roads and washes, no services