Ukiah, Talmage, Mill Creek Road, Clear Lake, Mend Lake Road, Lake Mendocino, Buckhorn Campground
Last Known Status
This trail system is recommended mainly for experienced riders. The trails range from deep rutted single track with tight switchbacks and mud holes, to extremely sharp rocky sections near the peaks that will tear up your tires a bit.
The access road is narrow and winding, and is not recommended for RVs or long trailers. All trails are looped, and there is a nice swimming hole downstream from where trail 6 meets 24. Maps are available at each of the staging areas, which have loading docks and restrooms.
This area is most crowded in the fall, and the ruts and mud holes get very deep in some places. The surrounding area has 25,000 acres for hiking and mountain biking.
From: San Francisco, CA
1) 101 N to Ukiah
2) Just before Ukiah, take Talmage Exit (Route 222) turn right (east) off ramp
3) Travel 1.5 miles
4) Turn right on Eastside Drive
5) Take first left on Mill Creek Road
6) Follow Mill Creek Road all the way up the canyon to the staging area (Follow the signs to South Cow Mountain Recreation Area)
7) Access road is steep, rugged and narrow with tight switchbacks. RVs and trailers not recommended.
TYPE OF AREA
lot of single track, nice staging areas, swimming hole where trail 6 meets 24, maps at staging area, loading docks, looped trails
deep ruts, some very rocky sections, rugged access road, only 10 camp sites, tough to get an RV in. two way trails - very tight
1-2 Days late sppring when creeks flow
Miles Of Trail
800 to 4000 ft.
Not Marked, Not Rated, Not Maintained
upper elevation trails are very rocky
beware steep climbs with sharp cut-backs
busy in late spring & fall, slow in summer
(hazards not marked) very deep ruts (waist high), huge mud holes
target practice at N.Cow Mountain, S.Cow Mountain open to hunters all year