This large and open area is located in the Mojave Desert and consists of a dry lakebed and miles of surrounding sand washes, desert trails and scattered play areas to explore.
There is no shade and it can be quite windy making the trails and lakebed very dusty. The area is open year round but the lakebed may be off limits during wet weather.
During weekends this place can be packed with visitors (dry lake racing) but it gets very little use during the week. Beginning October 1, 2008 El Mirage Cooperative Management Area became a fee-based area.
Daily passes start at $15.00, but weekly and annual passes are also available and offer significant savings. On site kiosk machines accept credit cards and cash (exact change only).
From: Adelanto, CA
1) Take US-395 to Chamberlin Ave.
2) Turn west on Chamberlin Avenue, continue 2.2 miles
3) Turn right (north) on Koala Avenue, continue 1 mile
4) Turn left (west) on El Mirage Road, continue 5 miles
5) Turn right (north) on Mountain View Road, continue 1.5 miles
6) Turn left (west) on Bella Vista Drive, continue .3 miles.
7) Stage anywhere.
Alt Staging Directions:
8) Continue past Bella Vista Drive about .5 miles
9) Continue past stop sign about .5 miles (paved road will turn to dirt)
10) Stage anywhere.
TYPE OF AREA
Trail, dry lake bed
free, can camp anywhere, miles of trails to explore, descent desert scenery
no shade, windy, dusty, very busy during weekends
1-2 Days Fall/Winter
Miles Of Trail
2800 to 3800 ft.
Marked, Not Rated, Lightly Maintained
(hazards not marked) heavy rider traffic during weekends, deep ditches, debris