Bear Town State Forest, Benedict Pond Road, Wildcat Trail, Beebe Trail, Sky Peak Trail, Airplane Trail, Turkey Trail, Lookout Trail, Lake Benedict, Mount Wilcox
Last Known Status
This state forest has about 25 miles of challenging ATV trails that consists mostly of loose and chunk rock, mud puddles, tree roots and steep uphill and downhill sections. The staging area is large and trail maps can be found at the kiosk. Swimming, boating and camping can be found at nearby Lake Benedict however there is no direct trail access so machines must be hauled to and from the staging area.
The campground is open year round however reservations are required May through October. Wildlife consists of black bear, deer and bobcats. A small parking fee is charged from May through Labor Day and must be paid at the Beartown State Forest Ranger Station since there is no self pay kiosk at the staging area. During the winter months the trails are open to snowmobiles.
ATV/OHM Permit A daily riding permit now required to ride the ATV trails at Beartown, October Mountain and Pittsfield State Forests. There is no fee however a maximum of 50 permits will be issued per day for Pittsfield and 75 permits for Beartown and October Mountain. Permits can be reserved by calling (413) 499-5112 or via e-mail at Pittsfield.ATV-Permits@State.MA.US.
From: Westfield, MA
1) Take I-90 west to exit 2, about 30 miles
2) Continue about .5 miles, veer left at fork near end of off ramp
3) Turn left (south) on Housatonic Street, continue .03 miles
4) Veer right onto Pleasant Street/SR-102, continue 2.6 miles
5) Turn left (south) on Pine Street, then immediately veer right, continue .4 miles
6) Turn left on Beartown Mountain Road, continue 3.3 miles (Beartown Mountain Road will fork at 2.2 miles, stay to the right)
7) Staging area is on the right (west).
TYPE OF AREA
beautiful scenery, nice long loops
very rocky, no single track, no direct trail access from campground
Miles Of Trail
1650 to 2000 ft.
Marked, Not Rated, Lightly Maintained
area open during hunting season
(hazards not marked)
Daily Riding Permit and Massachusetts Registration Sticker