Moonrocks, Hungry Valley Recreation Area, Spanish Springs, Pyramid Lake, Chickadee Lane/hungry Valley Rec Access, Moon Rocks
Last Known Status
Moon Rocks is the popular name for the Hungry Valley Recreation Area, a large open area with a variety of roads and trails in the high desert terrain.
The area gets its name from the large rock formation that is next to the staging area, and is a popular play area for all types of vehicles. Entrance and camping is free, but the climate is dry and dusty, with no water, services or shade provided. Come prepared.
From: Reno, NV
1) I-80 east to 445 north through Spanish Springs
2) Continue north on 445 8 miles past Spanish Springs to Winnemuca Ranch Road
3) Left on Winnemuca Ranch Road (north)
4) Follow 5 miles until road turns to dirt
5) Follow one more mile to entrance on left at N39.51.233, W119.43.447
6) Follow entrance road in 1/2 mile to staging areas (look for large flat dirt parking area and kiosk).
TYPE OF AREA
Trail, Play Areas
open area, open spaces, popular - will see many other riders, large open staging area, some interesting rock formations to play on, large/lots of trails
dry & dusty, no water, no services, very little shade