Black Mountain, Black Mountain Recreation Park, Black Mountain OHV Park, Evarts Trailhead, Putney Trailhead, Harlan County
Last Known Status
This brand new OHV trail system is open year-round to all vehicles. There are two trailheads to access this area, the Putney Trailhead to the north and Evarts Trailhead to the south.
The northern trailhead is located at Harlan County Campground and is $5 to park. The southern access which has no fee to park and is located near the general store which carries basic camping supplies, maps and permits.
Primitive campgrounds, cabin rentals and full RV hookups are also available throughout the area. A zipline has been recently installed and arrangements can be made by calling the Black Mountain Off-Road Adventure Area And General Store at (606) 837-3205.
From: Harlan, KY
1) Take SR-38 east about 8 miles
2) Turn left (north-east) on SR-2430/Kelly Street, continue .6 miles
3) Turn left (north) on Bailey Creek Road, continue about .5 miles toward Evarts Trailhead.
For Harlan County Campground/Putney Trailhead:
4) Take US-421 north about 1 mile
5) Bear right (north-east) on US-119, continue 8 miles
6) Campground entrance is on the right (south).