Hot Wells, Hot Well Dunes Recreation Area, Hackel Rd, San Simon River, Gold Gulch Wash, Starvation Flat, Tanque Rd, San Simon Valley, Bowie
Last Known Status
This unique recreation area features hot springs, on-site camping and limited amounts of shade.
The name comes from an artisan well that produces 250 gallons of hot water (106F) per minute. A couple of concrete soaking tubs have been built for the hot springs and they were actually pretty clean. There are 10 developed tent/RV sites that include fire grills & vault toilets, as well as a day-use area.
Trails consist mainly of sandy washes and one main sand dune, with multiple dirt dunes surrounding it. (The sand is pretty firm, so you can still have plenty of fun without a paddle.) The area is very popular, especially during the weekends and the summer days can be very hot.
From: Tucson, AZ
1) Take I-10 east to town of Bowie (exit 362)
2) Follow road 1.8 miles to N. Central Ave.
3) Turn left on N. Central Ave., continue 2 miles
4) Turn right (east) on Fan Road (you will see a blue sign that says "Hotwell Springs"), continue 8.3 miles
5) Turn left (north) on Heckle Road (you will cross a cattleguard and see a BLM sign on the right), continue 8.1 miles
6) Look for main entrance on the right.
TYPE OF AREA
unique area has hot tubs, sandy trails & dunes to explore, has nice picnic tables & shade ramadas scattered around, reasonable fees
far away from any major cities (long drive), no services