This large open area offers more variety and challenging terrain than nearby Plaster City, and less law enforcement than Ocotillo Wells. Visitors can park, ride and camp anywhere, and there are no services. Holiday weekends are crowded and rowdy, with lots of bonfires, speeding and massive parties. Terrain consists of dry lakes, bad lands, rocky mountains and rolling dunes. Cross-country travel is permitted but beware the bombing ranges to the north and south.
From: San Diego, CA
1) I-8 east through mountains to valley floor toward El Centro
2) Take the Plaster City exit, turn left off the ramp (north) under highway
3) Right on Old Hwy 80 (east)
4) Left on Huff Rd. (north)
5) Left on Wheeler Road (west)
6) Multiple staging areas on both sides of the road.
TYPE OF AREA
good variety of desert terrain
open area - camp/park/ride anywhere
crowded on holidays
can be very windy
sometimes rowdy - bonfires, speeding, parties