Pilot Knob Trailhead, South Boxelder Trailhead, Boxelder Forks Campground, Roubaix Lake Campground, Red Fern Trailhead, Shanks Quarry Trailhead, Dalton Lake Campground, Dalton Lake Trailhead, Redbank Spring Campground
Last Known Status
Closed For Season
With many campgrounds, miles of ATV and motorcycle trails and numerous scenic views, the Black Hills National Forest is a premier offroad destination. Trails wind through deep woods to open meadows with many elevation changes. This place is huge, and may require several day to explore. Camping ranges from primitive sites to full service RV campgrounds with direct trail access. A permit is required for each rider which can be purchased online.
From: Sturgis, SD
1) Mystic Hills Campground (North-Western Access) Take 14A west 12.1 miles
2) Turn left (east) on US-85, continue 2 miles
3) Turn left (south) on US-385, continue 9.4 miles
4) Turn right (west) on Custer Peak Road, continue about 1 mile toward campground.
From Sturgis, SD
Dalton Lake Campground (North-Eastern Access)
1) Take I-90 east 12 miles to exit 44
2) Turn right (west) off exit ramp onto 218th St, continue about 50 yards
3) Turn left (south) on 1st Street, continue .9 miles
4) Turn right (west) on Main Street, continue 4 miles
5) Turn right (north) on NF-226, continue 2.2 miles
6) Turn left (west) on Dalton Lake Road, continue .6 miles
7) Campground is on the right (north).
From Rapid City, SD
Nemo Guest Ranch (Center Access)
1) Take CR-234/Nemo Road north-west about 10 miles
2) Ranch is on the left (west).
TYPE OF AREA
Miles Of Trail
4500 to 6000 ft.
Marked, Not Rated, Lightly Maintained
(hazards assumed marked but use caution)
Black Hills National Forest Motorized Trail Permit