Balance Rock State Park, Potter Mountain, Churchill Brook Trail, Skyline Trail, Taconic Skyline Trail, Snake Brook Trail
Last Known Status
Located in northwestern Massachusetts, this area has about 14 miles of ATV trails that wind through a dense forest. A daily riding permit is required which can be obtained by visiting the ranger station on Cascade Street and Shamrock Blvd however there is no access to the trails at this location as all of the trails here are for hiking or mountain biking use. Balance Rock and Potter Mountain Staging areas are the only two parking areas that offer direct access to the ATV trails. (Balance Rock has ample parking for larger vehicles while Potter Mountain is suited for smaller vehicles).
Camping is available however machines must be hauled to and from the staging areas. The Lulu Brook Day Use Area has numerous BBQ grills and picnic tables. Forest hours are from sunrise to 8pm, year-round. Snowmobiles are permitted during winter months.
**Note: A permit is now required to ride the trails at Pittsfield State Forest. There is no fee however a maximum of 50 permits will be issued per day. Permits can be reserved by calling (413) 499-5112 or via e-mail at Pittsfield.ATV-Permits@State.MA.US.
From: Pittsfield, MA
1) Head west on West Street about 2 miles
2) Turn right (north) on Churchill Street, continue 1.7 miles
3) Turn left (west) on Cascade Street, continue .7 miles
4) Turn right (north) on Shamrock Blvd, continue about .5 miles
5) Ranger station is on the left (west)
**Note: The above directions are to the ranger station to obtain the daily riding permit. To access the ATV trails you must stage at either Balance Rock or Potter Mountain Road Staging Area.
For Potter Mountain Staging Area:
7) Leave ranger station by heading south on Shamrock Blvd about 1 mile
8) Turn left (east) on Cascade Street, continue .5 miles
9) Turn left (north) on Churchill Street, continue 2.1 miles
10) Turn left (west) on Potter Mountain Road, continue .4 miles
For Balance Rock Staging Area:
11) Turn right (east) on Potter Mountain Road, continue .4 miles
12) Look for gate and sign for Balance Rock State Park on the left (west), turn here.
13) Continue about .5 miles toward staging area.
TYPE OF AREA
State Forest, State Park
small area, additional permit required to ride trails
Miles Of Trail
1200 to 2000 ft.
Marked, Not Rated, Lightly Maintained
area open during hunting season
(hazards not marked)
Trails are marked with orange and yellow blazes.
Pittsfield State Forest Trail Permit and MA Registration Sticker