O'brien, Siskiyou National Forest, Grants Pass, Oregon Caves, Sourdough, Sourdough Camp, Mcgrew 4wd Trail, Rock Creek, Elk Creek, Illinois River, Biscuit Creek
Last Known Status
This is a remote area that mainly consists of gravel roads and jeep trails. The climbs are gradual (not too steep) but some sections of the trail are pretty rocky.
There is a nice staging and camping area next to the stream on the left near the main entrance at N42.01.615 W 123.46.079. You can stage here or drive in further. Follow the main road up the mountain, past the gravel pit, and bear right at the fork (go through the yellow gate) and look for a large unmarked open area on the right. This is the actual trailhead.
Some other recommended activites in the area are the Oregon Caves National Monument (north on 199), the Smith River Nation Recreation Area, and the redwood forest (10-15 miles south on 199).
From: Grants Pass, OR
1) Take 199 South to O'Brien (very small town)
2) Take a right in the middle of town
3) Turn right (west) on Lone Mountain Road (Country Road #5550)
4) Proceed approx 4 miles to National forest entrance - stage anywhere
5) Main trail head is another 5-6 miles ahead - veer right on 4402-19 fork - continue up hill to open area (trail head clearing).
TYPE OF AREA
Trail, Gravel Pit
very remote, good scenery, nearby sight seeing, swimming/fishing holes, free camping