Black Rock DesertFeatured Trail Near Gerlach, NV!
Once an ancient lake, this massive silt playa consists of over 400 square miles of ultra-flat terrain. There are numerous access points and many opportunities for primitive camping. The nearby town of Gerlach has basic supplies only.
Summer temperatures can soar to well above 100F then drop considerably at night. Also note that during the winter months and wet weather conditions, the playa gets very muddy and sticky.
Although there are several hot springs scattered throughout the area, use caution (some water temperatures can range from 160F - 190F). This area is also home to the annual Burning Man Event, which is held the week prior and through Labor Day weekend. More...
From: Reno, NV
1) Take I-80 East to Exit 43
2) At base of ramp turn left (north) onto Hwy 427
3) Continue about 1.5 miles
4) Turn left to stay on Hwy 447
5) Continue north toward the town of Gerlach, about 75 miles
6) Proceed through the outskirts of Gerlach, stage anywhere.